If you are reading this, chances are you are expecting a baby! Congratulations as this is an exciting but possibly overwhelming time in your life. Lately in the media, there has been increased awareness of the black female maternal mortality rate in the United States. According to the American Medical Association, “black women are 2 to 6 times more likely to die from complications of pregnancy than white women, depending on where they live.” According to www.rewire.news, “ the majority of pregnancy-related deaths in Texas are preventable, and Black women are twice as likely to die from pregnancy-related deaths as white women, according a new report”. Even though these facts are alarming and concerning, I wanted to share with Black mothers in Texas resources to help them through pregnancy and beyond!
Here are the 5 Must Need to Know Websites for expecting Black Moms in Texas
1. GenderRevealGame (Villi).Genderrevealgame.com is online website where expectant mothers can raise money though creating games for their gender reveal. Families and friends play a game that the mother creates for loved ones to guess the baby’s gender. A black mom from Pittsburgh was able to raise $980! Growing your family costs money and this is an easy way to get money in your pocket! Create your game now on https://genderrevealgame.com/.
2. Black Mamas Alliance. This Organization advocates, drive research, builds power, and shifts culture for Black maternal health, rights, and justice. They offer frequent webinars on important issues Black mothers face. Visit https://blackmamasmatter.org/now to get more information!
3. Black Mamas ATX. This organization is located in Austin, Texas. Their emphasis “is to reduce and ultimately eliminate the alarming maternal mortality and morbidity rates among Black women through programs, increased awareness, training, outreach and research. They are mothers, advocates, policymakers, social workers and community activists. Please visit https://blackmamasatx.com/about/to find our more!
4. Therapyforblackgirls. Therapy for black girls is not only a mental health resource specifically for black women but you can also find black therapist in Texas and all over the country. This wildly popular platform will be especially helpful for Black moms who have mental health problems or just need non judgmental life advice. Go to https://therapyforblackgirls.com/ for your mental health needs.
5. Afrinanny. Afrinanny.com is the only online marketplace where Black families can locate childcare providers with culturally relevant experience. Launching in Fall 2020, Afrinanny is your virtual village where you can find the help it takes to raise a child! Check out https://afrinanny.com/ to get curated caregiving !
Afrinanny.com is also a great resource for Black mothers. Please subscribe now in the link below for future events and launching information. Dr. Irene Obika is Co-Founder/CEO of Afrinanny, the only online marketplace where families can locate childcare providers with culturally relevant experience. She is a doctorate prepared, dual certified Family & Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner www.afrinanny.com
Are You On The List?
Be the first to know about offers, news and updates on our new Afrinanny app!