If you are a daycare worker in the Dallas Forth Worth, Texas are and have suddenly become unemployed due to the Covid-19 pandemic crisis, this article is for you! Many childcare workers are struggling financially right now and need extra income. Black childcare workers are particularly struggling due to the social, economic and racial disparities black employees usually face. These are 5 ways Black daycare workers in Dallas can monetize their skillset in the childcare space!
- Virtual Tutoring! Many families want their kids to continue their academic journeys during these trying times. Provide 15-30 minute sessions for your kids or whatever is an age appropriate time. www.abcmouse.com has great learning material for kids and toddlers. www.chisomthechamp.comhas culturally relevant learning materials for chidren 2 years & up as well for kids to learn about various cultures, anti bullying strategies, and self love!
ABCmouse: Educational Games, Books, Puzzles & Songs for Kids & Toddlers ABCmouse.com features hundreds of fun and interactive games, each designed to teach a specific educational concept. Your child can play games to learn the alphabet, to learn new words, to learn about numbers and shapes, and even to learn about the planets! www.abcmouse.com
- Potty Training Expert! Many families are willing to obtain the information and skills on how to save money on diapers! You more than anyone knows the tricks of the trade on how to teach a child to use that potty.
- Babysit for a family in your daycare center! Yes, we all should be maintaining social distancing but some parents are still working from home and need help. Use wisdom in how you will navigate this and always utilize follow www.CDC.govguidelines.
- Virtual Arts and Crafts! Black children are extremely creative and talented. Continue to help them tap into their creative side through song, dance and crafts. https://www.education.com/activity/black-history-month/provides a plethora of activities not only to celebrate black history month but to engage kids all year long! Black History Month Activities for Kids | Education.com What better way to celebrate the history and accomplishments of African Americans than with our engaging collection of Black History Month activities? The BabySitterGuru, Hassanatou, is a noted Guinean-American New York based babysitter that can provide virtual classes to any location. She is bilingual in Fulani and English! Contact her at https://hassanatoubarry.typeform.com/to/sVg3Wc
- Teach a foreign language virtually! There are so many languages that Black people speak around the world. French, Spanish, Igbo, Yoruba, Swahili, Twi, just to name a few. Many caregivers are bilingual and can continue to help develop your child’s brain. Studies have shown that bilingual children score higher on standardized tests. www.tribalsquare.com has “My Talking Igbo Book” which is a sound book in Igbo that has helped teach kids globally the indigenous Nigerian language, Igbo!
Afrinanny.com is also a great resource for daycare workers post COVID. Please subscribe now in the link below for future employment opportunities. Dr. Irene Obika is Co-Founder/CEO of Afrinanny, the only online marketplace where families can locate childcare providers with culturally relevant experience. www.afrinanny.com. She is a doctorate prepared Family Nurse Practitioner and Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner.
Are You On The List?
Be the first to know about offers, news and updates on our new Afrinanny app!